TopShell overlay is a cementitious, non-bituminous pavement preservation product designed to protect and enhance the overall physical properties of asphalt and concrete surfaces. It creates a tough and durable high friction wearing course that bonds permanently to aggregate, pavement surfaces, and metal. TopShell stops further oxidation, giving a maximum lifespan to the underlying surface.
TopShell is a fast-setting overlay designed to repair streets, highways, sidewalks, bridges, parking lots, and any concrete surface. Target thickness is 1/16″ to 1/8″ (1.6mm – 3.2mm). TopShell is flexible, having less shrinkage than ordinary Portland cement concrete and provides corrosion and oxidation protection. The addition of coloring has no adverse effect on the other physical properties of the product.
TopShell is available in 50 lbs. bags & 3,000 lbs. sacks (22.68 Kg & 1,360.7 Kg)
Before attempting to apply TopShell, make sure the slab is structurally sound (free of flaking, spalling, and hibernating spalling) and that the surface is clean and bondable. Slick or glossy surfaces should be opened and/or sanded before applying TopShell. Inadequate substrate preparation may cause TopShell to fail.
Cracks and spalling should be repaired, patched, and smoothed before applying TopShell. Unrepaired cracks will remain visible in the finished surface. TopShell should only be applied to fully cured and dried surfaces.
Prior to applying TopShell, we recommend:
1. Thoroughly removing all debris and dust from the surface. Painted surfaces may require sanding.
2. Washing the surface. Be sure to remove all organics, grease, and other contaminants.
3. Allowing the surface to completely dry.
4. Checking the surface for damp spots or standing water before proceeding.
Temperature & Weather
Apply TopShell when temperature is above 40°F/5°C and rising. Do not install TopShell if rain or snow is expected within 24 hours. Water temperature should not exceed 80°F/27°C.
Water temperature, humidity, and surface temperature will affect curing time and workability of the product.
One 50-pound (22.7 kg) bag of TopShell requires, 5.25-5.75 US quarts (5.0-5.45 liters) of clean water. Add water to a 5-gallon bucket or mixing device and slowly add TopShell powder while mixing. Mix completely until it is lump-free and pourable. Allow mixture to release air before immediately applying a thin layer to a section of the working area. Do not exceed the water requirements.
Pot life: Mixture will remain spreadable for approx. 10 minutes. In hotter conditions, working time will be reduced. Re-agitate prior to application if required.
- Hand/Squeegee Application – After mixing, slowly pour a thin line of the TopShell mixture across the surface and evenly distribute the coating into a thin layer using a squeegee. Immediately broom or finish to desired texture.
- Spray/Hopper Gun: Immediately after mixing, pour TopShell mixture into the reservoir of the hopper gun outfitted with a large orifice. Cover the surface using a circular spray pattern.
- Micro-Surfacing Paver: Use only micro-surfacing pavers that are equipped with recommended spreader box. Apply material according to the guidelines of the paver manufacturer and contact TopShell’s Technical Department.
For additional aesthetic benefits, improved durability and to reduce the presence efflorescence post-application, utilize a water-based sealer. Allow TopShell to dry before applying sealer.