Why should I use TopShell when seal coating is cheaper?
- While a sealcoat provides an aesthetic benefit to a deteriorating surface, the black color is only temporary protection. TopShell creates a new wearing surface that both protects and preserves the underlying pavement. TopShell will have a lifespan 3-4x longer than conventional sealcoating.
What is the advantage of TopShell over micro-surfacing, chip seal, or slurry seal?
- TopShell contains no asphalt emulsions or loose rock chips, lasting 7-10 years
- TopShell is a single-component system, not requiring specialized mixing equipment or specialized applicator.
- TopShell does not rely on the sun or heat and hardens in hours
- TopShell comes in a variety of colors, reducing the surface temperature and heat island effect
When is the best time in a pavement’s life cycle to apply TopShell?
- Age, weather, location, traffic loading, and pavement conditions should be considered in determining if a TopShell application is appropriate. Surfaces best suited for TopShell are typically 3-7 years old, which have slight to moderate distress, no major rutting, and generally narrow crack widths. Pavements suffering from a loss of friction, raveling, oxidation, and surface permeability are ideal for TopShell.
Can TopShell be installed over a failing sub-grade and/or cracks?
- As with any surface treatment, cracks and potholes must be addressed prior to application. Cracks must be patched or filled and smoothed before applying TopShell. Unrepaired cracks will remain visible in the finished surface. Inadequate substrate preparation may cause TopShell to fail.
What colors are available? Can I purchase TopShell in a custom color?
- TopShell is currently available in Black, Gray, Dark Gray, Red, Bright Red, White, Yellow, Bright Yellow, Blue, Green, and Orange
- Custom colors are available but subject to a minimum order requirement
Is TopShell safe for the environment?
- Yes, TopShell is environmentally friendly. With no harmful VOCs, polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs), carcinogens, or harmful byproducts.